7/21/2013

Another blue night over me (or Starálfur, again)

I posted this on my other blog. But, given the content, it feels much more appropriate here so I'm just going to copy it here. This marks the second in-depth post I've made about this song, Starálfur. I wonder why I like this song so much.

Lately, it seems I've been going back through my already bloated collection more than trying to find newer music. Sigur Rós's Ágætis byrjun has been playing a lot in my car. Not the whole album, mostly just "Starálfur", "Viðrar Vel Til Loftárasa", and "Ágætis byrjun". It's always surprising when I remember that this album was released back in 1999, though I didn't get a copy myself until probably 2007.

I was sprawled across the backseat of my car late last night. Just outside the window were the pale stars all in their familiar arrangements. Starálfur was playing and it was just so fitting. The first two lyrical lines are translated as "Blue night over the sky; Blue night over me". Whenever I hear those lyrics, I'm immediately reminded of the great wide sky that encapsulates all of us as well as the infinite cosmos that lay just beyond that. Always a welcome reminder since I'm so anxious all the time (says a friend that I hadn't seen for years; and here I was thinking my anxiety was only particularly noticeable in the past year or so).

Anyway, here's the album version of Starálfur. I swear I've written a long-winded post about this already. I guess it was probably for the other blog.

No comments: